noun.- A strong feeling deriving from one’s circumstances, mood, or relationships with others.
Our daily life is hugely coloured by our emotions. What we are feeling has a direct impact on our actions. We are wired to feel different emotions like sadness, happiness, anger, shame, envy etc. However, it becomes difficult when our emotions start impacting our day to day life and we aren’t able to function normally.
These are some tips that can help to deal mindfully with difficult emotions:-
1. Become aware of the emotion and where you are feeling it in the body.Take a moment and sense into your body where that feeling lives and how it feels at this point. Sense into your body, starting at your head and then moving down through your torso, including your muscles and even your heart, lungs, and guts.people feel anger in their head and chest, happiness throughout their body, and shame in their face etc.
2. Identity the emotion you are feeling. Say, you are feeling angry, sad, happy etc. Then try to accept the emotion non judgementally. Don’t try to suppress or hide it. It isn’t good for physical and mental well being.
3. Try to investigate what your emotion is trying to tell you. Generally our emotions carry important messages. Try to look into the deeper meaning. What it is trying to tell you? Is there something you need to work on?
4. Accept the emotion. Try to observe it non judgementally and let it pass as the wave of oceans. Remember ,this too will pass. Feelings aren’t facts. Not everything we feel is true.
5. Let go of the need to be in control of your emotions. Try to stay in the present.
6. If you still feel overwhelmed or in a state of crisis,try to practice some self soothing activities. Do some distraction. Splash some cold water on your face.
If you need help, don’t hesitate to take professional advice. Reach out to them.